While sheltering in place during the pandemic, people are tackling all sorts of DIY projects from baking bread to sewing COVID-19 masks. Some people are even trying DIY surgeries, such as removing a mole or skin tag, which can go seriously wrong quickly.
Whether the spot on your skin requires immediate medical care or can be removed later, you want to see a dermatologist. Here are five reasons why:
- Find and treat skin cancer. If you remove a mole at home that’s actually a skin cancer, you can leave behind microscopic cancer cells. These cancer cells can multiply and spread deep into the tissue beneath your skin. This is why melanoma is called the deadliest skin cancer.
*Caught early and treated, melanoma is highly treatable.*
- Control infection risk. When physicians cut into skin, they follow guidelines that reduce the risk of infection.
- Minimize scarring. Dermatologists have the expertise required to minimize scarring.
- Prevent loss of movement due to scarring. Dermatologists understand the risks and use their expertise to help avoid scars on your skin the limit movement.
- Avoid difficult-to-stop blood loss. Your medical conditions and medication information helps your dermatologist know what could cause difficult-to-stop bleeding and take necessary precautions.
Please call 219-228-4200 to schedule an appointment at any of our convenient locations in Munster, Dyer, Valparaiso, or Demotte!
Please visit https://www.dermiodermatology.com/contactus
And visit one of our world-class dermatologists or dermatology providers! https://www.dermiodermatology.com/#services